Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Local Artists: MoonyMonster



I’ve decided to create a new section where I discuss the Deviant art profiles of various people. At the moment, I’m just writing about people I’ve met who have good art, but as time goes on and my scope and influence increases, I may start tackling bigger people.

For now, we’ll discuss one of Saddleback anime club’s more prominent artists, Moony Monster. Moony monster does a lot of work on Pokemon fan art. I kinda like her attempts to make Pokemon look darker and edgier, like this Charmander:



I like how it looks fierce instead of the usual cute and cuddly Charmander presented in Pokemon. Penciling is nice. Now, my first thought is that charmander is supposed to be orange, but then I asked, and apparently the game will very rarely spawn a white Charmander, which automatically makes you special. Because then your friends will be jealous that you’re Pokemon is more unique than theirs

On another note, Moony does some more linear comics, like this yaoi comic between Ash and Brock:


Now then, this one wins based solely on concept points. What? I don’t hate yaoi, I just usually dislike annoying yaoi fangirls! There’s plenty of room for yaoi to be funny. I found this one to be kinda cute for some reason.

Lesse, one other project is this one:

Saw her working on this one a while back. It appears that Army of Darkness jokes are quite popular in the local artists circle.

Overall, I think MoonyMonster is a relatively good artist, particularly in her recent works. Also, if we look at her earlier works and compare them to her more recent stuff (shown here) we can see a large degree of improvement.

Also, it should be noted that Moony does commissions.

Please comment and subscribe!

Next Artist: Joker's Bri

Related Stuff:
The Wold of Pokemon is just plain stupid
Nintendo of America and Rockstar announce Grand Theft Auto: Saffron City

No comments: