Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Macbeth: The graphic Novel


 It's like what you read in English class, but but without the good

Well, I’m pretty broke, so I was going through the comics and manga available at my local library. I was moderately intrigued when I saw this, a graphic novel about Macbeth… but IN SPACE!

Hoping it would be as good as that anime I watched about The Count of Monte Cristo…. IN SPACE, I picked it up. This unfortunately, was not like The Count of Monte Cristo… IN SPACE! (Further referred to as Gankutsuou.) Instead, this is like they took an audio file for a Macbeth play, and stuck it over video clips from Star Wars. What do I mean? This book takes place IN SPACE, and yet people are still talking in old English. What the hell? Most of the lines are taken straight from the play, which is a problem, because a lot of them don’t even apply. The dialogue refers to horses, and yet the illustrations show pictures of freaking space dragons! Every character talks in old English, and it looks really forced. You can tell that they didn’t put any effort to ensuring that the dialogue was relevant or fit the setting. Whoever thought keeping the original dialogue like the way it was in the play needs to be whacked in the head, while being yelled at in olde English.

Well, plot is same old Macbeth they taught you in English class, but with visuals that don’t match it at all. Art is decent at parts, but just abysmal at others. Some parts look like they weren’t finished before the deadline. Also, ending comes way too quickly and takes no time to set in. Like the characters wanted to get this over with as much as I did. Either way, despite being written in the 1600’s, the plot feels rushed. Authors REALLY should have spent some time translating the plot so that it would make some sense. If I didn’t know anything about Macbeth, I’d have no idea what this book was about.

Fortunately, I got this book from the Library so I didn’t have to pay anything.

Go watch the Gankutsuou if you want to see Classical Literature IN SPACE!

Please comment and subscribe!

No comments: