Monday, May 24, 2010

Artist Profile: Tsuranga



Tsuranga’s specialization appears to be painting and sketching out sci fi concepts, such as robots and spaceships. Along with that, he also does a wide variety of landscapes, which are often influenced by science fiction. The majority of his stuff is meant to look realistic, which it accomplishes, despite being of things that don’t exist… yet.I highly reccomend that you click to zoom in, because smaller shots don't really do these paintings justice.

To start, I’m going to show an image I really liked:

I really like all of the little details that he put into this one. Like the rings off of the planet, and all the stars being put in. I also really like the design on the mecha carrying the yellow sabers, and the slight distortion of space around it.

This one was put up in February, named Flight



Flight was supposed to be more abstract, which is quite noticeable, with only the core of the mecha being made in great detail. This creates a sort of reality distorting effect, that while making the image more abstract, makes it a bit more realistic in certain respects? Why you say? Adding in a blur effect in most of the image helps to demonstrate the speed at which the mech is moving, giving the viewer a better image of exactly how fast the mech is flying. Quite possibly unintentional, but I like it.

One last giant robot picture (well, focused on giant robots)


The design on this one appeals to me a lot. Once again, attention to detail is high, as shown by details on the arms, establishing a bit of how the robot operates. The lighting effects are very nice on this picture, capturing the metallic shininess the robot would have. Also, I really like the color on the mech.

To show off some of his work with scenery, we have the picture “Glacier Citadel”


This was apparently inspired by a dream about playing on bonus planets in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Kind of like that dream I had where I was playing Morrowind I guess. Anyway, it is certainly more abstract than most of his work, aside from the shading concept, which actually suits the artic climate quite well.

Last painting today is “Wasteland Sunset”


Although this one was made relatively quickly (2 hours) I still think it looks really nice. I particularly like the wreckage in the background, and the little bit of sunlight breaking through the clouds. Creates a nice effect

Overall, I would say that Tsuranga’s biggest weakness is his lack of publicity. I have seen much worse artists than him getting a LOT more pageviews. Personally, I think he would be able to make some money if he were to attempt to do a booth at Anime Expo’s artist alley. However, the most important thing is that he consistently puts out quality work, and he shows lots of improvement if you look at the stuff he’s made over the course of time, and shows great potential for improvement.

Please comment and subscribe!

Next Project: Shira Oka: Second chances

Related stuff:

No comments: