Monday, April 26, 2010

Artist Profile: HakuBaikou

Previous Artist: Joker’s Bri

This Week's Featured artist is: Hakubaikou

Alright, since none of the LOCAL artists have stepped up in an attempt to grab some fame, I have decided this week to do a tribute to an artist that was recommended to me. Instead, this week I'm doing a person MUCH bigger than me.

Unfortunately, HakuBaikou died in a car accident and won’t be producing any new artworks. Sad, I know.

During life, she was a pionieer in the fanart community, running a successful website, and hosting several contests

Anyway, I’m here to discuss what she painted, not turn this into a crying post.

HakuBaikou painted a lot of realistic stuff, such as alternate character interpretations, landscapes, and a lot of pictures of ancient Japan (remember back when Japan was cool?)


However, she is not limited to ancient Japan, as illustrated here…


This picture shows a more western style fantasy

Oh yeah, I know a person who will skewer me alive if I don’t feature any Rurouni Kenshin pictures…


I like this one because it’s kinda creepy. Would NOT want that to be the first thing I see when I wake up…



I like this one because it makes Saitou look like a badass WHILE wearing his Shinsengumi uniform. I thought the thing looked pretty silly during the actual show, so Haku makes a major improvement.


This one caught my eye mainly because of the Matt Groening Kenshin. I LOVE it when people take a series and redraw it in Matt Groening fashion.

Anyway, leaving the Rurouni Kenshin stuff, she did some art representing some other series too…


I really like this shot of Wolverine. I don’t know why. It looks better than the pictures Marvel uses in their official books.

How to end this one…. I KNOW!


Steam punk hello kitty is coming to get you!

I really like a lot of the work she did, particularly because I enjoy seeing alternate styles applied to classical characters. Now then, I hope next weeks challenger manages to be just as exiting, hehehe

Want your art featured on my website? Just send me an email containing your deviant art page, photobucket, imageshack, or whatever source you prefer me to discuss to darthsomebody@yahoo.com, and if I like it, I’ll do a feature on you!

Please comment and subscribe!

NEXT ARTIST: Egg Finger!

Related Content:
Artist Profile: Tsuranga

No comments: