Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Why I like Anime

Hm, I’ve realized that when I think about why I like anime, I always go straight to things I hate about American comics. Strange, I know. My favorite thing about anime is probably the fact that I know that this is going to end at some point.

Sure, I’m having a good time, so a part of me does NOT want it to end. Alas, I know that the end must come, so I have a concluding point that gives everything a reason for happening. Brings the whole journey into perspective, and makes everything that has transpired appear to have a point. Alas, this is probably why you almost never hear me talking about Naruto, Bleach, or DragonBall. Alas, you could hear me complain about that here  so I’ll talk about the positive features of anime

1.)    Culture shock. Okay, I actually despise modern Japans culture. Alas, watching anime does give me a bit of insight into other people’s cultures (don’t get me wrong, everything is exaggerated, but some truth slips through the cracks) making for a unique experience. Also, it prompts some research, which prompts you to learn… stuff
2.)    Entertainment: Primary reason right here. Not everything is entertaining, but a lot of the stuff I find is. Should be an advantage to any medium really.
3.)    Lack of limitations: A problem with live action movies is the budgeting to create crazy effects. Not an actual problem with anime, since limitations are not set by actors and pesky safety violations. You can have Godzilla smash Tokyo all you want. This allows for giant robots smashing things to warrant it’s own genre.
4.)    Different Genres: This is a actual legitimate advantage over American animation. Anime encompasses a large variety of genres, besides action an comedy. Anime has drama and slice of life stuff too.

I kinda like the anime community sometimes. The philosophical types are kinda interesting, until you meet one that insists Japan is a great place to live. Those guys really grind my gears (why yes I am writing a report on that.) A proper community makes the experience seem more fruitful, as you’re socializing prevents you’re soul from rotting away into a garbling pile of gook attached to a PC. Alas, I think I’ll watch some stuff to do a new Anime in focus section to post tomorrow.

No comments: