Thursday, June 10, 2010

Quit playing single player games at multiplayer parties

<-Street Fighter II, the quintessential game for multiple people to play. Notice how it has room for two players, and allows them to rotate quite easily

At the most recent party I attended, I noticed a strange tendency among they gamers in the room present. They all seemed to be surrounding a TV watching one guy play a single player game. Now then, this room contains like 4 people and a large TV. Furthermore, there were more than enough controllers present for everybody to play. This left me wondering why the bloody hell anybody would stand by and allow this to happen.

Sadly, I do know the attitude that allows for such atrocities to happen. It’s a state of sheer apathy and lack of desire to compete that is possessed by many people who enjoy sitting around and watching their friends play games at parties. This both offends me when I am playing the game and watching a person play such a game, for this activity does not promote any growth in the person sitting there watching another person game. Furthermore, it I’m the person watching, it offends me that this person has the gall or narccisstic tendancies to think that I find sitting and watching them play a game without me remotely entertaining. This si the very reason that games like Halo, Dead or alive and Street Fighter were invented, so friends can beat the stuffing out of each other in parties, without feeling left out. Yet, many nerds tend to continue in this fashion of leaving people out of gaming matches in favor of just having one guy get all of the fun. This was a silly issue, such as when I was hanging at a friends house and they wanted to play Arkham Asylum instead of Mario Kart Wii, even though 4 people were present (those people had bad taste anyway.)

To this I say to people! Stop making social events just so you can all play the games you would sit around and play by yourself! Sure, if you go to a friend’s house and play their games, they will probably kick your ass, bus so what? They didn’t get good by sitting around watching you play games, so have your bro falcon punch you in Super Smash brothers. Nobody cares how many points you can get on a level, or what level your char is at, or exactly how good you are at some single player game! Multiplayer was invented for a reason, and people need to start using this ability. 

Does is bother anybody else when people gather in order to play single player games?

Please comment and Subscribe!

2 comments:

Gregory said...

The problem I see more often is the vast majority of multiplayer games today require a second system/game/and TV. Very few games allow local multiplayer anymore. So you end up watching someone else and taking turns (hopefully).

I would love to play Halo more often on Local play, but my friends don't like FPS's. So we end up playing Rock Band all the time.

Dan said...

Personally, I believe that competitive games don't really have a place at parties. That's what co-op games (e.g., Rock Band) are for. They foster a lot more enjoyability for more people and no one leaves upset.

Competitive games are for tournaments. No one likes to lose, and they like losing in a shutout even less. If all your friends play Madden or Halo or Smash already so they have some idea of what's going on, then maybe playing it at a party could be fun, but getting hammered in a game I never touch is about the farthest thing from a good time that I can think of.