Thursday, July 15, 2010

Shira Oka: Second Chances demo review


 Today I'm going to discuss the gaming demo available HERE

Alright, I reported on the dating sim project Shira Oka: Second Chances about a month or so ago, and it has been brought to my attention that the studio has released a demo of the game. Due to this, it felt logical to do a follow up on what has been released, since it does show that progress has been made. Besides, I haven’t been giving dating sims as much attention on this site as I should, since they are pretty popular among the Otaku community.

Anyhoo, the actual game. The demo starts with the game’s introduction, showing our character who’s managed to screw up as much as a 30 year old at age 20. Alas, due to being age 20, he still has vivid recollections of what he thinks he should have done during high school. During a hangover, he manages to wind up seeing a bunch of delusions, until he winds up in bed feeling a bit better with an angel standing before him…


Anyway, she explains that you’ve been sent BACK IN TIME to your first year of high school. She then helps you generate stats and character quirks, and then explains a few of the buttons and things you can do to get the game going. This game operates like Persona 4, except without the going inside the TV and killing shadows part.

What? Haven’t played Persona 4? I know, it’s not a very popular game. The gameplay in Shira Oka plays from a first person perspective, and you just decide what the character you generated does when a crossroad comes up, such as how to blow time, (options include working out, socializing, studying, and getting more sleep) or what to say to people.  I made sure to have my character work out until he was the Greco-Roman ideal, then work on his skills with the various women at the school. Who cares about studying, this game advertises doing high school differently! Unfortunately, in the demo there were almost no options to be flirtatious, which is a major crime in a dating sim.

The plot in the demo doesn’t have many twists and turns, aside from the mandatory cliffhanger ending. You wake up in a high schooler’s body, get your exposition, and meet the various people in the school. Or at least most the girls. There’s only like one guy in the whole school, who has the delusion all the girls belong to him, when they clearly belong to me and my rank 9 in sportsmanship.

The girl that seemed to attract my attention the most during the demo was Aya, (upper left) who happened to talk the most. This resulted in the miraculous effect of me remembering her name.

The other girl that caught my attention was Yuki (right)

Oh wait, sorry, wrong picture, I meant Yui (lower left)
Who happens to be the school shy person.

Alas, one thing that I realized at the end of this was…Where’s your parents? I assume their overseas with every other high school anime’s parents but still, they didn’t even give us a lampshade in this one. I did manage to find the game fun, and the demo managed to last about an hour or so. Hopefully, the full game will beat out the dating sim aspects in Persona 4, since this game does not have you kill time by going into a television and killing monsters.

While no release has been announced, due to the relative bug-free nature of the demo, and relative polished off look, it can’t be too far off. I’m ambiguously exited about it.


No comments: